I was going to wait to post this until my last week, but I’m bored and seeing as how I’m only 10 days out I didn’t think it would matter much. So here’s a list of the ten things I’ll miss the most about Australia (in no particular order).
1. Sydney Harbor. Sydney Harbor is easily my favorite place. There’s beautiful views, the Harbor Bridge, and the Opera House (and Opera Bar).
2. Tim Tams. Easily my favorite food here. I hope I can find them when I go home.
3. The ARU. My time at the Rugby Union has been short, but I’ve learned a lot and met some great people. I’ve had a lot of fun too, and I wish I could make it my summer job.
4. The weather. Not everywhere I’ve been has as great weather (Cairns and the outback can go to hell). But Sydney has had great weather (when it’s not raining). It’s a beautiful place and I wish Boston summers were like this.
5. James Squire. The best beer here, as I’ve already stated. I hope I get to have some again.
6. Not tipping. I haven’t tipped once since I’ve been here. It’s just not something you do here. It’s awesome. As a former delivery driver I never thought I’d say this, but America really needs to get on this whole not tipping bandwagon.
7. All my friends. I’ve made a lot of new friends since coming here, and I’m starting to realize I may never see some of them again.
8.$10 haircuts. Haircuts are stupid cheap here, as they should be. Why should I pay someone $20 for something that takes 5 minutes? $10 is plenty for someone to take a pair of clippers to my head.
9. Australian wine. I know I can find some in the states, but there’s a bunch here that I love and is exclusive to Australia. I’m going to try to bring back as much as I can.
10. The Rocks. Coming in at a close second for favorite place right behind the harbor. There’s so much stuff to do there no matter what time of day you’re there. You can check out the cool market during the day or hit up the bars at night. Thankfully Pancakes on the Rocks is open 24/7.